Ok, so it's definately not what you think! Frugal Friday is about saving money, not spending it. So, here's my Frugal Friday tip. Power walk while you shop. Let me explain. When I'm ready to go shopping (grocery, dept. store, etc.) I make my list and I take all 5 girls with me (they are all under the age of 8). People think I'm nuts, but let me tell you.....this works. I've have learned over the years that kids have a time limit. They will behave in the store for so long, and then every mother knows what happens. They start to whine, have temper tantrums, act up, walk away from you, etc. This is exactly why I take my kids. They have their timers too. And they start ticking from the moment I walk into a store. So, here's what I do.
- I make sure I have my list & I go as far as to try to put similar items together so I don't have to go back to an isle because I forgot something. (ex: frozen items, meats, etc.)
- I take all my kids with me. (It's not that bad once you get used to it.)
- When I get to the store I power shop! Walk as fast as you can through the store to get everything on your list. Sometimes I walk so fast my girls actually have to run to catch up to me :).
- Do not stop to look at something that is not on your list!
I'm sure some of you are laughing at me :) but let me tell you this works for a number of reasons.
- You will save money because you are not browsing while you shop.
- Your kids timers will be ticking, so if you're smart you'll get out of there before their time is up.
- You'll be getting just a little bit of excercise because of the fast pace you're keeping through the store.
Try it! I can go through Sam's or BJ's - with all 5 kids in tow - and spend $185 in 20 minutes. I know that doesn't sound like saving money, but that is for a family of 8 - for 2 weeks.